Read more about our school's upcoming events on the Dr. MLKing Jr school calendar http://mlk.cpsd.us/calendar
We will hold our school's fair in our spacious school library on the following dates:
Childcare during Parent/Teacher Conferences
Parents and teachers loved the free childcare that MLK Friends volunteers provided during parent teacher conferences last fall so we will again offer free childcare from Ms. Varney is allowing us to use half the elementary school side of the library for the book fair, and in the other half we’ll show Kung Fu Panda short films (20 minutes each) and have arts & crafts tables. We will also sell snacks and dinner in the hallway area outside the library.
Parents/guardians: please help us make this event a success: VOLUNTEER! See the flyer in backpacks or email mlkfriendsgroup [at] gmail [dot] com to sign up to volunteer when your child's class visits, or at another time.
We will need a lot of volunteers on Wednesday, April 4 when we have extended hours, free childcare (which you can use if you have a parent-teacher conference that evening) and dinner for sale. We appreciate everyone's help to make this fun event run smoothly!
Call for volunteers!
We have lots of great events coming up and we need *your* help to make these run smoothly. Please email mlkfriendsgroup [at] gmail [dot] com if you are interested in serving our community as a volunteer:
- Help Organize Field Day
- Math coach Ms. Leon has worked with gym teacher Mr. Reardon for years on Field Day – they have all the equipment and the plan. Ms Leon is looking for some parents to help organize this really fun event this year.
- You can also volunteer the day of the event – mark June 13 as the final date on your calendar. Email mlkfriendsgroup [at] gmail [dot] com if you can volunteer.
- Talent show In June we will hold our annual talent show - we need parent volunteers to help put together the raffle and sell tickets and snacks at the event.
- A portion of the proceeds benefits scholarships for children in need at our school to attend summer camps or our school's community school after school program. Email mlkfriendsgroup [at] gmail [dot] com if you can volunteer.
Service opportunities in our community beyond the school
We can honor our school's namesake and raise our children to be engaged community members when we volunteer in our community together. Here are some upcoming opportunities:
- Cradles to Crayons volunteer session over April break A group of MLKing students and parents had a great time volunteering at Cradles to Crayons on MLK Day/National Day of Service on January 15. Please email mlkfriendsgroup [at] gmail [dot] com if you are interested in volunteering over April break
- Saturday, April 28, 2018
- Email mlkfriendsgroup [at] gmail [dot] com for info.
We welcome you to attend these school group meetings
MLK Friends meeting notes and next meeting: all welcome! Wed. April 11, 8am In case you missed these before: email mlkfriendsgroup [at] gmail [dot] com for notes from our January, February and March MLK Friends meetings.
Next School Council meeting: Wed April 4, 8-9am in School large conference room
The topic for the next school council meeting is the "SIP" or "School Improvement Plan"
All parents are welcome to attend for this discussion of issues important to academics at our school. Here is the list of upcoming School Council topics.
Note that MLK Friends is a separate group from School Council. Parents are welcome to attend meetings for both groups.
Wishing everyone all the best!
Mom to a 2nd grader
semi-professional volunteer wrangler
President, MLK Friends